Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club of America - Code of Ethics
Adopted by ASDCA Board of Directors 2004
Approved by ASDCA Membership 2005
This Code of Ethics is established in accordance with the objectives of the ASDCA as set forth in the Bylaws. It is established to set a standard of conduct by all members of the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club of America. It is presented as a guideline for the use of ASDCA members and the general public when buying, breeding, selling and exhibiting Anatolian Shepherd Dogs.
The Anatolian Shepherd is a very special breed of dog, developed over many centuries under rigorous working conditions to perform a specific job – protect livestock. As breeders of these dogs, we are dedicated to maintaining the same degree of uniformity in working behavior, temperament, soundness and overall conformation as these dogs have exhibited for millennia in their native lands.
As a member in good standing of the ASDCA, I hereby agree:
01. To abide by the ASDCA By-Laws and the rules and regulations of the American Kennel Club.
02. That all advertising shall be honest and not in any way misrepresenting, fraudulent, or misleading.
03. To maintain the highest of standards of canine health, cleanliness, and care.
04. That no ASD will be knowingly sold to franchised commercial facilities, puppy brokers, puppy mills or agents. No stud dog will be knowingly bred to any bitch whose owner is directly or indirectly involved with any puppy broker, puppy mill, or any other commercial enterprise whose business is involved in like activities. No ASD will be sold or donated to a research laboratory. No dog will be offered as a prize or sold at auction.
05. All breeding done will be done with the intentions of improving the breed and never for purely commercial reasons.
06. All breeding dogs/bitches must be certified radiographic free of hip dysplasia at age 2 or more by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals or comparable agency. Copies of this certification to be provided to puppy buyers, upon request.
07. All breeding Bitches and Dogs should be physically mature and at least two years of age with no disqualifying faults per the AKC Standard. Bitches should not be bred two heats in a row without veterinary approval.
08. Puppies will not be shipped before 8 weeks of age.
09. To realistically evaluate all puppies and to sell or place all nonbreeding ASD on spay/neuter contracts with limited registration papers (offspring nonregisterable).
10. To take responsibility for all offspring produced in my breeding program and to assist in their lifetime placements and re-homing if necessary.